Friday, 22 May 2026
The Standard Maldives
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Travel
  • Technology
  • World
  • Reports
  • 🔥
  • President Dr. Mohamed Muizzu
  • STELCO
  • Maldives Police Service
  • The President's Office
  • Tourism Ministry
  • Maldives Parliament
Font ResizerAa
The Standard MaldivesThe Standard Maldives
  • My Saves
  • My Interests
  • History
  • My Feed
  • Business
  • News
  • Politics
  • Reports
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • World
Search
  • My Saves
  • My Interests
  • History
  • My Feed
  • Business
  • News
  • Politics
  • Reports
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • World
Follow US
© 2024 Dominion Network
News

Housing Projects to Continue Next Year, Says President Muizzu

By Hussain Shinan Published 4 hours ago

President Mohamed Muizzu has stated that the government will continue expanding housing projects into next year, while emphasizing that ensuring housing opportunities for citizens remains one of the administration’s highest priorities.

Speaking during PSM’s “Nation Chat” programme, the President described housing as one of the most fundamental rights of Maldivian citizens and said extensive efforts are underway to address long-standing housing challenges across the country.

According to President Muizzu, large-scale housing initiatives are currently progressing both in the Greater Malé Region and across islands throughout the Maldives.

- Advertisement -

He noted that contracts have already been awarded to multiple companies to implement housing developments in various islands, including a project financed through Bank of Maldives (BML) to construct approximately 900 housing units across 13 islands.

The President also highlighted ongoing large-scale projects being implemented through Housing Development Corporation (HDC) in major population centers.

Focusing on the Greater Malé Region, President Muizzu said agreements have been signed to develop up to 4,000 flats, while the recently announced “Affordable Home Ownership” initiative has also received what he described as an overwhelming response from developers.

According to the President, the government expects additional housing projects in the Greater Malé Region to commence within this year.

He further revealed that arrangements are underway to develop another 4,000 housing units through financing under the Indian Line of Credit (LoC), with discussions currently ongoing with the India to accelerate implementation.

In addition, President Muizzu stated that the China government has committed to constructing 500 housing units in the Maldives, with administrative preparations for the project currently in progress.

The President said the government is not only focused on constructing housing units but is also continuing to issue housing loans to citizens.

He noted that housing loans were disbursed both last year and during the current year as part of broader efforts to improve home ownership opportunities.

President Muizzu also stated that one of the administration’s first priorities after assuming office was to complete housing projects initiated under the previous government.

He pointed to the completion and handover process of the 4,000 flats project as well as efforts to distribute land plots to eligible recipients.

At the same time, the President criticized the previous administration for allocating land plots from areas that had not yet been fully reclaimed.

He stressed that his administration would only proceed with land handovers after reclamation work has been fully completed, assuring that future projects would follow a more practical and sustainable approach.

Share This Article
X Email Copy Link Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

You Might Also Like

BusinessNews

Over 3,000 Runners Turn Addu City Red for Ooredoo Fun Run 2025

By Ahmed Ashraf
NewsTravel

Visit Maldives and Liverpool FC Take Over Dubai Taxis for Arabian Travel Market 2025

By Ahmed Ashraf
News

MMA Suspends FIU Head Ismail Sajid Over Sexual Harassment Allegation

By Ahmed Ashraf
BusinessNews

Velana International Airport powers through year’s second busiest day with over 27,000 passengers

By Ahmed Ashraf
The Standard Maldives
Facebook Twitter Instagram

About Us


“The Standard Maldives” is your premier source for the latest news, insights, and stories from the Maldives. With a commitment to accuracy and independence, we bring you comprehensive coverage of local developments, regional events, and global perspectives that impact our island nation. From breaking news to in-depth analyses, we aim to inform, inspire, and engage. Proudly carrying the tagline, ‘The World’s Window on Maldives,’ we connect the Maldives to the world and the world to the Maldives. Stay informed, stay connected.”

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?