Sunday, 23 Aug 2026
The Standard Maldives
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Travel
  • Technology
  • World
  • Reports
  • 🔥
  • President Dr. Mohamed Muizzu
  • STELCO
  • Maldives Police Service
  • The President's Office
  • Tourism Ministry
  • Maldives Parliament
Font ResizerAa
The Standard MaldivesThe Standard Maldives
  • My Saves
  • My Interests
  • History
  • My Feed
  • Business
  • News
  • Politics
  • Reports
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • World
Search
  • My Saves
  • My Interests
  • History
  • My Feed
  • Business
  • News
  • Politics
  • Reports
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • World
Follow US
© 2024 Dominion Network
News

‘Completely false and misleading’: Fahmy rejects MWSC vessel allegations

By Hussain Shinan Published 53 minutes ago

Malé Water and Sewerage Company (MWSC) Managing Director Hussain Fahmy has rejected allegations surrounding the company’s purported purchase of a landing craft for MVR 17 million, describing claims circulating on social media as “completely false and misleading.”

Fahmy issued the response after political commentator Hassan Kurusee alleged on X that MWSC had purchased an old landing craft from MP Ibrahim Falah for MVR 17 million, despite claiming that the vessel was worth around MVR 900,000.

Hassan further alleged that an additional MVR 1.8 million was spent on repairs and refurbishment of the vessel and claimed that MWSC was seeking to purchase a second vessel from Falah.

- Advertisement -

Responding to the allegations, Fahmy said MWSC has not made such a purchase since 2023.

He also said that, to his knowledge, the company’s board has not granted approval for such a transaction and that no proposed purchase of this nature has been discussed with any party.

Hassan had additionally claimed that former MWSC board member Umar Hussain resigned from the board after refusing to approve the alleged vessel purchase.

Fahmy rejected that claim as well, saying Umar’s departure was unrelated to the alleged transaction and that he had resigned for personal reasons.

Calling the accusations serious, Fahmy said claims of this nature should not be presented as fact in the absence of credible evidence.

He added that MWSC remains committed to transparency, accountability and due process.

Hassan’s posts alleged that the landing craft had an actual value of MVR 900,000 before being acquired for MVR 17 million. However, no documentation establishing the claimed valuation or substantiating the alleged transaction was included in the posts.

The Standard has also not independently verified the alleged MVR 900,000 valuation, the claimed MVR 17 million purchase price or the reported MVR 1.8 million refurbishment expenditure.

Fahmy took over as MWSC’s managing director in April this year following the resignation of Abdul Matheen. Before joining MWSC, Fahmy had served as Principal Secretary to the President on Policy and Manifesto and previously headed the State Electric Company (STELCO).

MWSC, a state-owned enterprise responsible for water and sewerage services, publishes annual and quarterly reports as part of its corporate governance framework.

Share This Article
X Email Copy Link Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

You Might Also Like

News

MMA Extends Financial Expo 2026 Participation Deadline

By Hussain Shinan
NewsPolitics

First Lady Sajidha calls for more women in police to strengthen national security

By Ahmed Ashraf
NewsPolitics

Ramadan 1447: President Muizzu urges society to uphold Islamic values and national principles

By Ahmed Ashraf
News

President Calls for Stronger Focus on Children’s Values and Upbringing

By Hussain Shinan
The Standard Maldives
Facebook Twitter Instagram

About Us


“The Standard Maldives” is your premier source for the latest news, insights, and stories from the Maldives. With a commitment to accuracy and independence, we bring you comprehensive coverage of local developments, regional events, and global perspectives that impact our island nation. From breaking news to in-depth analyses, we aim to inform, inspire, and engage. Proudly carrying the tagline, ‘The World’s Window on Maldives,’ we connect the Maldives to the world and the world to the Maldives. Stay informed, stay connected.”

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?