Saturday, 23 May 2026
The Standard Maldives
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Travel
  • Technology
  • World
  • Reports
  • 🔥
  • President Dr. Mohamed Muizzu
  • STELCO
  • Maldives Police Service
  • The President's Office
  • Tourism Ministry
  • Maldives Parliament
Font ResizerAa
The Standard MaldivesThe Standard Maldives
  • My Saves
  • My Interests
  • History
  • My Feed
  • Business
  • News
  • Politics
  • Reports
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • World
Search
  • My Saves
  • My Interests
  • History
  • My Feed
  • Business
  • News
  • Politics
  • Reports
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • World
Follow US
© 2024 Dominion Network
News

Maldives Tightens Health Checks Amid Global Disease Concerns

By Hussain Shinan Published 1 hour ago

Chief Spokesperson at the President’s Office Mohamed Hussain Shareef has stated that precautionary health screening measures are currently being carried out at the airport amid global concerns surrounding Ebola and Hantavirus outbreaks.

Speaking during a press conference today, the spokesperson said the overall risk of the diseases spreading to the Maldives remains low, but authorities are maintaining heightened vigilance.

According to Shareef, screening efforts are particularly focused on travelers arriving from regions where the outbreaks have been reported.

- Advertisement -

“The risk is low, but teams are operating on high alert. With close monitoring of both outbreaks, individuals entering the Maldives, especially through the airport, are being actively screened,” he said.

The Health Protection Agency (HPA) had earlier confirmed that it is closely monitoring developments related to Hantavirus cases linked to a cruise vessel operating in the South American region, as well as the Ebola outbreak affecting parts of Uganda and Democratic Republic of the Congo.

Both outbreaks have been identified by the World Health Organization (WHO) as significant public health concerns.

Despite the global situation, HPA reiterated that the probability of either disease reaching the Maldives remains low.

However, as a precautionary measure, the agency has advised the public to avoid non-essential travel to regions currently affected by the outbreaks.

The Maldives has historically introduced preventive border screening and monitoring measures during major global health emergencies, including previous international disease outbreaks and pandemics.

Authorities said monitoring efforts and airport screening operations will continue while the global situation remains under observation.

Share This Article
X Email Copy Link Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

You Might Also Like

News

Mundhu to Yameen: You Forget Things Too Quickly

By Hussain Shinan
News

From Diplomacy to Action: Indian Mission Hosts Second Blood Drive for Maldivians

By Ahmed Ashraf
BusinessNews

SDFC Appoints Fathimath Farihath Waheed as New Operations Director

By Ahmed Ashraf
NewsPolitics

People’s Choice Prevails: Hulhudhoo and Meedhoo Declared Separate Islands by President Muizzu

By Ahmed Ashraf
The Standard Maldives
Facebook Twitter Instagram

About Us


“The Standard Maldives” is your premier source for the latest news, insights, and stories from the Maldives. With a commitment to accuracy and independence, we bring you comprehensive coverage of local developments, regional events, and global perspectives that impact our island nation. From breaking news to in-depth analyses, we aim to inform, inspire, and engage. Proudly carrying the tagline, ‘The World’s Window on Maldives,’ we connect the Maldives to the world and the world to the Maldives. Stay informed, stay connected.”

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?