Tuesday, 19 May 2026
The Standard Maldives
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Travel
  • Technology
  • World
  • Reports
  • 🔥
  • President Dr. Mohamed Muizzu
  • STELCO
  • Maldives Police Service
  • The President's Office
  • Tourism Ministry
  • Maldives Parliament
Font ResizerAa
The Standard MaldivesThe Standard Maldives
  • My Saves
  • My Interests
  • History
  • My Feed
  • Business
  • News
  • Politics
  • Reports
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • World
Search
  • My Saves
  • My Interests
  • History
  • My Feed
  • Business
  • News
  • Politics
  • Reports
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • World
Follow US
© 2024 Dominion Network
NewsTravel

Monica Montefalcone and Federico Gualtieri recovered from Vaavu cave after high-risk dive mission

By Ahmed Ashraf Published 59 minutes ago

Recovery teams have successfully retrieved the bodies of Italian divers Monica Montefalcone and Federico Gualtieri from the Vaavu Atoll cave system in the Maldives following hours of difficult and high-risk underwater operations, sources involved in the mission confirmed to The Standard.

The two were among the four Italian cave divers who went missing after entering the complex underwater cave network in Vaavu Atoll last week, triggering a large-scale international recovery operation.

Specialist cave divers carried out the mission deep inside the cave’s challenging underwater chambers under hazardous conditions, including narrow passages, poor visibility, and strong underwater currents. The recovery effort involved both Maldivian authorities and experienced international diving experts assisting on-site.

- Advertisement -

Sources close to the operation said the bodies were brought to the surface after an extended technical dive operation that lasted several hours on Tuesday.

Recovery teams are expected to resume operations tomorrow to retrieve the remaining two divers still inside the cave system. Authorities are proceeding cautiously due to the technical complexity of the operation and the dangerous conditions within the cave.

The incident has drawn significant attention in both the Maldives and Italy, with officials from both countries closely monitoring the ongoing recovery efforts. President Dr Mohamed Muizzu earlier expressed condolences to Italy and reaffirmed that the operation remains a national priority.

Share This Article
X Email Copy Link Print
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

You Might Also Like

News

President Assures Responses to All RTIs Submitted to President’s Office

By Hussain Shinan
News

President Muizzu Unveils Ambitious Zakat Reforms to Eradicate Extreme Poverty in Maldives

By Ahmed Ashraf
BusinessNews

Bank of Maldives and MOPA join forces to tackle plastic waste with new recycling facility

By Ahmed Ashraf
NewsPolitics

Fayyaz leaves MDP chair, says move is “to keep the primary fair for every candidate”

By Ahmed Ashraf
The Standard Maldives
Facebook Twitter Instagram

About Us


“The Standard Maldives” is your premier source for the latest news, insights, and stories from the Maldives. With a commitment to accuracy and independence, we bring you comprehensive coverage of local developments, regional events, and global perspectives that impact our island nation. From breaking news to in-depth analyses, we aim to inform, inspire, and engage. Proudly carrying the tagline, ‘The World’s Window on Maldives,’ we connect the Maldives to the world and the world to the Maldives. Stay informed, stay connected.”

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?